A refreshing cup of iced tea is the perfect complement to your day. Just as a few drops of CBD tincture can be the ideal way to relax after a long day. If you’re looking for a way to bring these refreshing and relaxing things together we’ve got you covered with this delicious recipe for cannabis iced tea that you can easily make at home.
What Does it Taste Like?
Now, if your question is whether your cannabis iced tea will taste like cannabis, the answer is that it all depends on the method you use to infuse cannabis with the tea. If you do it right, the cannabis flavor may be almost unnoticeable or a delightful compliment to the flavor of your tea. The kind of cannabis you choose also has a lot to do with the final taste. This is because cannabis flower, distillates, or tinctures, all have different flavors and also vary in potency. If you choose to use cannabis flower or stems, the steeping can significantly influence the intensity of the flavor transferred to the tea. If you choose to use a distillate or tincture, the amount of concentrate you use will determine the flavor and will also alter the final potency of the tea.
Of course, the type of tea you choose will also determine the flavor of your cannabis iced tea, as there are many types of herbs you can make tea with, and most have very different flavors and potency. As with cannabis, each plant that can be made from tea has a unique terpene profile which means that the flavors and smells of each tea can vary. More interestingly, the terpene profile of each type of tea can also have a slight impact on the final effects you’ll get from your cannabis-infused iced tea. So, in a nutshell, the flavor of your cannabis iced tea largely depends on the type of tea you choose and the method you use to infuse cannabis into your recipe.
Benefits of cannabis iced tea
The use of cannabis for wellness has been increasing in popularity since more and more studies and research appear to corroborate the wide range of therapeutic potential this wonderful plant could have. But, speaking specifically of cannabis tea, it seems that consuming cannabis in the form of tea could have even more therapeutic effects than smoking cannabis, especially in users who want to avoid damage to the throat and lungs or adverse effects associated with combustion. In fact, this is one of the main benefits of cannabis iced tea: no evidence speaks of a negative impact of cannabis tea on the respiratory system since there is no inhalation of smoke.
Of course, since each person’s body and metabolism are unique, the effects and benefits of cannabis tea may vary slightly. But, according to the available evidence, some effects commonly associated with drinking cannabis tea include:
- Pain management and anti-inflammatory qualities.
- Improvements in the digestive system.
- Improvements in metabolism management.
- Mood enhancement.
- Anxiolytic and antidepressant properties.
- Boost creativity.
- Possible adjunctive treatment for insomnia.
Cannabis ice tea effects
The effects of iced cannabis tea can vary depending on the type of cannabis the tea is infused with. This is because there are different types of natural compounds called cannabinoids in the cannabis plant. Depending on the type of cannabinoid used to infuse the tea, its effects will be different. It’s also important to note that cannabis tea can vary in potency and effectiveness and that tea is not a clinically proven cure or treatment for any illnesses or conditions.
That said, we can boil this down to two types of cannabis tea: hemp-infused tea and marijuana-infused tea.
In hemp, the predominant cannabinoid is CBD. The possible effects of CBD include anxiolytic properties, anti-inflammatory properties, and analgesic qualities. CBD could also be a potentially effective natural agent to treat some conditions such as PTSD symptoms, treat some epilepsy symptoms, treat opioid addiction, relieve ALS symptoms, inhibit the symptoms of arthritis, relieve diabetic complications, and may help protect the brain from neurological diseases. Therefore, you may experience some of these effects when drinking hemp-infused iced tea.
On the other hand, in marijuana, the predominant cannabinoid is THC. Therefore, by drinking marijuana-infused tea, you will experience the intoxicating and psychoactive effects that THC can generate. Effects of THC-rich cannabis-infused foods and beverages, including marijuana-infused iced tea, include: pleasurable euphoria, feelings of relaxation, heightened sensory perception that can make colors appear brighter or sounds seem louder, laughter, an altered perception of time, increased appetite, reduced pain, and inflammation. At the proper doses, marijuana-infused iced tea may have the potential to help reduce anxiety, control nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy, relax muscles in people with multiple sclerosis, and stimulate appetite and weight gain in people with cancer and AIDS.
Raw cannabis or dried cannabis flower contains these cannabinoids, usually in their acidic form, either THCA or CBDA. This means that these cannabinoids have a carboxyl group that prevents them from adequately binding to endocannabinoid receptors, in turn preventing them from generating their effects. It is vital to decarboxylate cannabis before infusing it into your iced tea to get the effects of CBD and THC.
We must highlight that when taking cannabis in a beverage, you will experience effects similar to those you would experience when consuming a cannabis edible. This is why we highly recommend starting with low doses and waiting at least an hour before drinking more iced cannabis tea. This way, you will avoid consuming an excessive dose and end up experiencing unwanted side effects.
It is important to note that the terpene profile of the tea you choose also plays an essential role in the synergistic effect that all the natural compounds, including terpenes, flavonoids, and the predominant cannabinoids in the type of cannabis you use, will cause when working together. Therefore, the tea that you will use will have a direct relationship with the effects that your cannabis-infused iced tea will generate.
Cannabis Iced Tea Recipe
Getting to the point, if you are here, it is most likely because you were looking for some guide to preparing your own delicious cannabis iced tea. This is a recipe for black tea infused with cannahoney that you can prepare in the comfort of your home. If you are wondering what exactly cannahoney is, it is nothing more than honey infused with cannabis. You can make it quickly and easily by using your favorite cannabis strain and following the steps in this recipe. We recommend using some quality cannabis flower like our Hawaiian Haze for fruity flavors in your honey and uplifting effects or a bit of our Sour Space Candy if you want berry flavors and balanced hybrid effects.
But, if you want to achieve a tea infusion with psychoactive effects, you can use a bit of our Delta-8 Sour Elektra to brew your cannahoney, or you can simply add a few drops of Delta-8 Live Resin Tincture to your cannabis iced tea brew for extra therapeutic potency. With that said, let’s get to work! This is what you will need to make your delicious cannabis iced tea.
Serving size: 5 to 6 glasses
Prep time: 30 minutes for blending the simple syrup ingredients and 8 hours to refrigerate and get the perfect cannabis simple syrup for your iced tea.
Cooking time: 20 to 30 minutes after you made your cannabis simple syrup. 1 to 2 hours of refrigerating the blend once it is done.
Total time: 10 to 11 hours
Cuisine type: Mixed
- Small pot
- Tea infuser or fine mesh strainer
- Tall glass
For the tea:
- 6 cups of water.
- 6 bags of black tea or the tea of your choice (if you use loose tea leaves, 3 tablespoons should work nicely).
- ½ cup of cannabis-infused honey
- 1 sliced lemon, fruit of your choice, or desired garnish (optional)
- Delta-8 live resin tincture (optional)
For the cannabis-infused simple syrup:
- ½ cup of water
- ½ cup of natural honey or cannahoney (if you use cannahoney, it can be CBD or THC, depending on the effects you want to achieve)
- 1 to 2 grams or more of decarboxylated cannabis of your favorite strain (The amount of cannabis you add will vary the tea’s potency)
Step by step in ordered list
- Place the simple syrup ingredients, water, honey, and decarboxylated cannabis in a pot and heat over medium/high heat until it reaches a temperature of 150°F.
- Stir the ingredients until the honey dissolves completely in the water.
- Take the pot off the heat and wait for the plain syrup to cool down a bit. Then pour it into a container and wait for it to reach room temperature. Refrigerate the mixture for at least 8 hours to allow the syrup to infuse even better with the cannabis. Strain it before using it.
- Once you have your simple syrup, take the 6 cups of water, pour it into a pot and bring the water to a boil.
- Remove the water from the heat after it boils and add the 6 tea bags or 3 tablespoons of loose tea. You can also use the tea infuser. Let the tea steep for 4-7 minutes, depending on how strong you want it. The longer you steep the tea, the more bitter its taste will be.
- Strain the loose tea through a fine-mesh sieve, or stir the tea bags or infuser with the herbal mixture if you use one.
- Add 2 tablespoons of cannahoney and stir until completely dissolved.
- Add the sliced lemon, garnish, or fruit of your choice to add flavor as the mixture chills.
- If you wish to add a bit more cannabis potency to your cannabis iced tea, you can add a few drops or your desired dose of Delta-8 Live Resin tincture at this point. The warm temperature of the tea will cause any remaining alcohol in the tincture to evaporate.
- Let the tea cool, transfer it to the pitcher, cover it, and refrigerate.
- Serve it in a tall glass with ice, and voila! All you have to do is enjoy your delicious cannabis-infused iced tea.