You see an empty cartridge; we see an opportunity for a new flavor. First-filling experiences can be confusing, especially if you are new to vaping or your device. Whatever the reason is, don’t let yourself be intimidated because we got your back.
No matter your device’s tank design or style, most will fill in a very similar way. So, leave your worries behind, have your vaping device handy, sit back, and follow this straightforward guide to learn how to put juice in a vape.
We’ve put the juice in these vapes for you already…
How to Refill a Vape
First and foremost, to learn how to refill your vape device, you need to understand whether it is an open or a closed system. These are the two main types of vape devices available in today’s market. Since they work in different ways, let’s look at the differences and advantages of each one of them.
Open System Devices
The main difference between these systems is how the heating mechanism receives the e-liquid. An open system device has something called a clearomizer that’s filled with e-liquid manually. This term describes a reusable, cylindrical see-through glass or plastic tank that holds a premade atomizer.
Usually, open system devices have three main parts: the mouthpiece, the clearomizer, and the battery. On some devices, you can detach the wick and coil.
One thing experienced smokers like about open system devices is that they are entirely reusable. Once the e-liquid has run out, you can top the cartridge up again. In addition to this, these devices also have a more powerful battery, meaning long-lasting, smoother sessions.
Closed System Devices
Closed system devices come with pre-filled cartridges that can be attached to the rest of your device. With this type of device, mouthpieces are built into the cartridges and cannot be removed.
Due to their self-contained nature, closed system devices are the safest choice for someone who is new to vaping. Since cartridges are disposable, you can avoid messy refills and focus on the smoke. Some devices attach cartridges to the battery, however, Botany Farm’s cartridges don’t include batteries. Explore our shop, and discover some of the most genuine full-spectrum CBD vape cartridges on the market. From the uplifting Sativa Pinneaple Haze, passing through the enticing hybrid Sour Space Candy, to the stress-melting Indica Berry Blossom, Botany Farms offers you the most incredible effects paired with the most tantalizing taste that you can get.
Now that you’ve identified what type of device you have, let’s jump into the step-by-step guide to learn how to put juice in a vape pen. Whether your tank comes in a top-fill or bottom-fill format, you will need to disassemble the vaporizer’s tank. Usually, e-liquids come with a helpful dropper that you can use to fill up your cartridge. Make sure you have one before starting.
- Unscrew the airflow base located at the bottom of the vaporizer and pull the coil out from inside. In most cases, it should slide right out. For now, leave the tank, top connector, and mouthpiece attached. If you’re trying a new flavor, make sure to read the Cleaning your Tank section first before you refill it.
- Unscrew the top and hold the coil horizontally between your thumb and pointer finger. Most likely, you will find around six holes located on the coil. With the help of your e-liquid dropper, put one drop onto each cotton hole. This step is known as Coil Preparation, and it enhances and prepares the life of the coil.
- Fill the tank with e-liquid until you reach the indicated line. To do so, you’ll have to unscrew the top connector from the tank. Now that you’ve revealed the access points for the e-liquid, hold the dropper up against the tank’s opening and squeeze in the juice until it reaches the horizontal hash mark or tank’s fill line.
- Now that you’ve filled the tank, it’s time to put all the pieces tightly back together. Wipe away any spilled e-liquid and screw the top connector and mouthpiece back on. Afterward, put the coil back in and screw the base back on.
- Once you’ve fully reassembled your vaporizer, wait 2-3 minutes to saturate the coil before you use it. Turn your device on, and you’re good to go.
PRO-TIP: Be careful not to get liquid into the device’s airway located in the center tube of the tank. If this happens by chance, you may inhale the e-liquid in its liquid form.
- Unscrew the vaporizer’s bottom metal piece and set it aside. Then, slide the coil out from the tank’s inside. If you’re changing the e-liquid flavor, clean the tank first.
- Now that the coil is out, pour one to two drops of vape juice inside, utilizing the dropper to saturate the wick. This is a critical step to avoid burning when you first inhale.
- To access the tank, unscrew the entire metal bottom of the vaporizer. Take the dropper once again and fill it with e-liquid. Then, place it against the inside of the tank and empty it several times until it reaches the max fill line.
- Once your tank is full, slide the coil back into place and wipe away any e-liquid spills that may have occurred. Then, screw the bottom piece back on to put your vaporizer back together.
- Finally, wait two to three minutes to saturate your device’s coil thoroughly. Your vaporizer is now completely reassembled and ready to go.
Cleaning Your Tank
Although you can buy different clearomizers for each vape juice flavor, you can get the most from your Open System device by cleaning your tank regularly. Not only can it enhance your vaping experience and vape pen’s performance, but it also prevents any e-liquid build-up. This is a crucial step to take before filing your tank, especially if you’re switching flavors. Otherwise, you might get an unwanted flavor combination lingering in your juice, also known as flavor ghosting.
Now that your tank is empty, it’s the perfect time to follow these easy steps to clean your tank properly:
- Fill a small bowl with lukewarm water, with a temperature between 100 and 110 F, then set it aside.
- Detach the vape tank from the mod and discard any remaining vape juice.
- Disassemble the entire vape tank and place its parts into the bowl, including O-rings. While some tanks have two rings, others have three. Check your tank carefully to be sure you have taken it apart completely.
- Rinse all of the parts under running water. Then, use dish soap, vinegar, ethanol, or raw propylene glycol to wash the vape tank components in the bowl with warm water.
- Soak them thoroughly for ten minutes to break down any buildup before removing them.
- Use a small brush to gently clean connectors and your vape tank’s inside. Please give them a final rinse to wash away any debris.
- Once every part is clean and polished, use a towel to dry each.
- Air dry on a clean cloth for about 15 minutes.
- Reassemble your vape tank and screw it back onto your open system device.
- It’s time to fill your tank with some juicy juice.
- Be very careful when removing your O-rings. They might break or get punctured. Using a hairdryer to blow-dry them might slowly turn them brittle.
- Remove the atomizer head during the cleaning process, but do not soak it. If it looks old, it’s best to throw it away and install a new head when reassembling your tank.
- Remove the wick material and flash the coils quickly to restore them or replace the coil completely.
- For better results, soak the tank components overnight and reassemble them in the morning. Do not use isopropyl alcohol.
- Rinse all components thoroughly with plenty of water if you use vinegar or ethanol.
If you’re switching flavors or using the same taste continuously, you should regularly clean your tank. That way, you won’t only avoid flavor ghosting but also keep your tank in great condition and ensure a first-class vaping experience every time.
Changing Your Coil
Coils are the key to a smooth and flavorful vape experience. If you start to notice that your e-liquids taste like burnt toast, or maybe they’re not as flavorful as they should be, it’s time to change your coil.
Coils are located within your mod’s cartridge. They’re typically made of resistance wire and covered by cotton in fiberglass or synthetic foam. Along with this wire comes the wick that soaks up the e-juice. Both experience repeated re-heating and cooldowns, which is why they eventually burn out. Replacing them is an essential part of your mod’s basic maintenance, and it’s vital to extend your device’s lifespan. If you neglect to do it despite the unpleasant taste, you will find yourself buying a new vape mod sooner than you’d like.
How often you change your coil depends on how often you vape. Typically, heavy users replace theirs weekly, while light users tend to replace them between two and four weeks. Taking multiple hits within a short period can quickly degrade the coil and dry out your wick. To extend the life of both your coil and wick, wait 30 seconds between drags.
Another telling sign that you’re vaping with a damaged coil is low vapor production and hearing gurgling sounds. If it seems that your device is not operating properly, wait until there’s little to no vape juice left in your device and read these quick five steps below to change it.
How to Prime a New Coil
- Unscrew the tank from your vape and wrap your device in a paper towel to avoid any mess. Then, flip your tank upside down and twist counterclockwise to remove it.
- Empty your tank and pour any remaining vape juice into a trash can. Some savvy users will pour it into a small bag with cat litter, which is super absorbent.
- Depending on the size of your coil, pre-saturate your new wick using 5-10 drops of the same e-Liquid you’re using to fill the tank. Applying juice to the exposed cotton in the coil’s center, along with its side-flow ports, will prevent burning your new wick.
- Once you pre-soaked the new coil, it’s time to replace the old one, which should easily unscrew from the bottom of your device. Wipe away any possible e-liquid mess.
- Now that your new coil is in place, screw the tank back on to reassemble your vape. Follow the previous step-by-step guides to fill your tank, depending on your device’s format.
We love vaping because it is a delightful way to indulge without inhaling the harmful substances associated with traditional smoking. Using terpene-infused vape juices rather than simple flavored ones offers the perfect combination between recreation and therapeutic effects.
If this sounds inviting to you, we recommend reading the following article, where you’ll discover which temperatures you need to set your vape to in order to unlock the hidden overtones of your juice while receiving the many health benefits of terpenes.