The most important decisions are those regarding health and that of our loved ones. We have to deal every day with issues like pain, inflammation, stress, and anxiety. Lucky for us, CBD is there to save the day.
Every day more health professionals prescribe CBD for a whole array of symptoms and conditions, including seizures, panic attacks, sleep disorders, acne, arthritis, glaucoma, menstrual cramps, endometriosis, and eating disorders. CBD is one of the main active compounds within hemp plants.
Along with THC and aromatic terpenes, it interacts with our bodies and helps them regulate their functioning. While THC is psychotropic and produces the well-known marijuana “high,” CBD does not affect us that way. Instead, its effects are soothing and relaxing.
While there are many methods to take your daily dose of CBD, edibles are one of the best options. You can integrate CBD extracts into your homemade meals or snacks without losing potency or giving out a weird taste. These sugar cookies have the right amount of CBD to make you feel calm and focused while sweetening your day.
How to Make CBD Cookies
|1 hour 30 minutes
|110 calories per serving
|$16 ($12 for CBD and $4 for the other ingredients)
- Cookie sheet
- Enough foil or parchment paper to cover it
- Double boiler. If you do not have one, you can use a large saucepan with water and a smaller saucepan or a small pyrex bowl that fits inside the large one without touching the bottom.
- Optional: probe thermometer
- A glass or mason jar with a tight lid
- Rubber band
- Measuring cups
- 2 large mixing bowls
- Hand mixer
- Rolling pin
- Cookie sheet
- Parchment paper
- ½ oz of high CBD hemp flower. Our strains Lifter, Sour Space Candy, and Cat’s Meow have a high content of CBD and less than 0.3% THC. This composition is perfect for lifting your anxiety away without any psychotropic effects
- 1 cup high-quality vegetable oil. Most people prefer coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil. Coconut oil adds a delicious taste to baked treats and stays solid at room temperature, while olive oil has broader recipe applications, like stews or salads. You can also use MCT, hemp seed, or avocado oil. Ghee and clarified unsalted butter are some tasty options, too.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp homemade CBD infused oil or 5 ml store-bought
- 1 cup granulated sugar. You can replace half of it with brown sugar for a nice color and taste.
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp milk
Infusing Your Oil or Butter
There are specialized stores where you can get CBD-infused baking oil but, where is the fun in that? Infusing oil or butter by yourself will save you some money, empower you, and give you the creative berth to add herbs, spices, or even flower extracts to it.
Your sweet recipes will be the delight of your family if you add dried lavender, rose, or calendula flowers to the infusion process. For savory dishes, a sprig of rosemary or sage will bring out a mouth-watering aroma and taste.
Decarb the Hemp Flower
To make our batch of CBD-infused oil, we need to decarb our hemp flowers first. Decarboxylation is the process that uses heat to activate the CBDA, the precursor substance inside the hemp flowers, and turn it into the CBD we will need for our cookies. If you don’t decarb the hemp flowers before infusing the oil, you will lose most of the soothing effects of the CBD.
Grind your hemp flowers and spread them on an oven-safe tray covered with parchment paper. You can use the same sheet you will use later to bake the cookies. Take them to the oven at 240°F (115°C) for 20 minutes or until they turn a brown-green color. Now you have decarbed hemp flowers ready to infuse!
Let it simmer
Infusion is the process in which the oil or butter of your choosing absorbs the therapeutic CBD and terpenes from the decarbed hemp flowers. As it happens with other types of infusion, it has to happen very slowly and using low heat. That is when our beloved double boiler comes to our aid.
- Put water in the bottom pot of your double boiler or the large saucepan if you do not have one, and put it on the lowest heat you can.
- Put the top pot in place and add your oil or butter of choice. If you use coconut oil or butter, wait to melt before mixing in the decarbed hemp flowers.
- Feel free to add a pinch of dried flowers for that extra lovely smell. Be careful to ensure that the flowers are well-dried before adding them because any residual moisture will put your infused oil in danger of going rancid.
- Let the oil heat for at least one hour, stirring it every 10 to 15 minutes. For better results, you could let it simmer for a couple of hours or more.
- If you have a probe thermometer, use it to check that the temperature keeps around 140°F (60°C). If your oil gets too hot, the CBD might break down and lose its effects. When you decide it is ready, turn the double boiler off.
- Line your glass jar with the cheesecloth and keep it in place with a rubber band. Leave it loose in the center to receive the infused oil without spilling.
- Strain your CBD-infused oil or butter through the cheesecloth without pushing it.
Store the CBD oil in a cool, dark place like a pantry or your fridge. It will keep fresh for up to a year. Use it in your recipes for anxiety-free snacks!
Gather your ingredients and roll up your sleeves because now we are ready to bake our cookies!
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the other bowl, beat the butter and sugar until the mixture is soft and light yellow.
- Add the egg, milk, vanilla extract, and CBD-infused oil or butter.
- Beat the mixture thoroughly to ensure that the CBD gets well distributed.
- Add the dry ingredients gradually and keep beating until they combine smoothly.
- Give your dough the shape of a thick disc and wrap it in film.
- Chill in the fridge for one hour. Some recipes claim that you do not need to chill the dough, but if you do not refrigerate it, the dough might spread out while you bake it, and the cookies will lose their shape.
- 10 minutes before the dough finishes chilling, preheat the oven at 350°F (180°C) and line your cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Dust a working surface with flour and take the dough out of the fridge. Let it soften to room temperature before rolling the dough with the pin until it is ⅛” thick.
- Cut the cookie shapes and place them on the lined sheet. If you want sharp lines on your CBD sugar cookies, you can also freeze the cut-out cookies in the sheet for ten minutes before baking them.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the edges of the cookies take a golden brown color.
If you have a friend gathering or simply want to be ready, you can make the cookie dough beforehand and keep it in the fridge to bake it later. The dough will stay fresh in your fridge for up to three days.
CBD sugar cookies are a delicious way to take your daily dose of CBD. Share them with your friends and family and witness the wellness spread around. Say goodbye to stress and anxiety, and welcome the good vibes in your life.