The whole DIY concept has played out well over the last decade. Who wouldn't want to jump on to such a trend that feels like a hobby, keeps you busy, and even saves you some money? Making your very own cannabis tinctures is a fun and exciting way to start experimenting with various cannabinoids, like the newly popular Delta 8 THC.
Delta 8 is a psychoactive cannabinoid found in low amounts in cannabis plants. Like Delta 9, Delta 8 THC produces bliss, euphoria, relaxation, and pain relief. This cannabinoid also shares some side effects of Delta 9 THC, like increased heart rate, dry mouth, and red eyes. However, the benefits and side effects of Delta 8 THC are milder than those of Delta 9 THC.
How to Make Delta 8 Tincture from Distillate
Making homemade Delta 8 tinctures allows you to customize them according to your needs. Additionally, you get complete control over the quality of the product you'll be consuming. Although making a tincture may seem like a daunting task, especially if you're new to it, we can assure you otherwise.
Apart from the benefit of customizing your very own tincture, making this oil is relatively simple. Another advantage is that these tinctures can be stored for extended periods without any strain in taste or quality whatsoever. They can be prepared in bulk and stored for future consumption. Here’s what you need to make your own Delta 8 THC tincture.
- Weigh scale
- Hot plate
- Stirring tool
- Dropper bottle
- Delta 8 THC distillate syringe
- A carrier oil (olive oil, vegetable oil, hemp seed oil, MCT oil, etc.)
- Vitamin E (optional but highly recommended as it will extend the potency of the oil and shelf life)
- Other types of cannabinoids like CBD (optional)
- Terpenes (optional, with a max 2%)
- Flavor oil (optional, with a max 2%)
- Food-grade ethanol (optional, up to 20%)
Step by Step Process
- Start by warming up your Delta 8 THC distillate syringe by submerging it in a hot water bath or heating it with a hairdryer.
- Once it reaches an entirely liquid consistency, pour it into a beaker. You could add it directly into a dropper jar if you're using a stove.
- Next, measure about 1 oz of your choice of carrier oil with the help of the weight scale and add to the beaker or dropper bottle. If you’re using ethanol, subtract the amount of ethanol you'll be using from the weight of the carrier oil.
- If you're going to be adding vitamin E, add about 0.5% by weight.
- If you're going to be adding any other cannabinoid extracts, add the desired amount now.
- If you're using the hot plate, heat the oils at 90-100°C until completely melted, and stir them together until well mixed. Once completely incorporated, remove the mixture immediately from heat. Do not keep the mixture on heat for more than necessary to avoid the degradation of cannabinoids.
- If you're using the cooktop, add water to a saucepan and bring to a light boil. Hold your tincture bottle in the water and gently stir the water with your bottle until the contents on the inside of the bottle are melted. Make sure not to leave your bottle in the pan. Take away from the heat and shake or swirl rapidly with a cap on to thoroughly mix the contents before the mixture cools down.
- Add the terpenes or flavor oil to the mixture and stir vigorously. It is recommended to keep them under 2% by weight.
- If you're going to be adding ethanol, you would add it here and mix until the solution is even. You can theoretically use any amount of ethanol, but 1-20% of ethanol is a standard, although most do not use any ethanol at all.
To extend the shelf life of your tincture, store it in the refrigerator. Make sure to try not to touch the dropper to your body, mouth, or tongue while using it, as it could cause bacteria to enter your dropper and thus into your tincture.
We hope you've learned how incredibly easy making a Delta 8 THC tincture can be. Making this tincture should not take more than a few minutes of your day overall, and the results are worth those few minutes you put in. These few minutes could last you anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, depending on your dosage.