You are probably familiar with CBD hemp flower and its many benefits, but there is more to hemp than just its fragrant buds. When purchasing your favorite hemp flower, you may have come across tiny jars of a bright yellow powder at your nearby store. If you are a curious person, you might have gotten close enough, just to notice the scandalous price tag that carries this product. What is this? CBD hemp kief is one of the most popular products you can find nowadays at your local CBD dispensary or online retailer. In case you don’t know much about this powerful product, this article will walk you through all the details. Thanks for stopping by! Why not give something from our farm a try?
Does Hemp have Kief?The answer is yes. It is impossible not to see the pretty crystalline, sticky coating that covers the buds of your hemp flower. You would find that the crystals appear similar to small elongated mushrooms if you were to look at them under a potent magnifying glass or microscope. These tiny elements are called trichomes. Trichomes are the very producers of cannabinoids that make our favorite hemp strains strong, special, and effective. One of the most common methods of making cannabis concentrate is to collect these cannabinoids by sifting buds and frosty leaves. Up until recently, THC or THCA, the psychoactive cannabinoids of the cannabis plant, dominated nearly all cannabis buds. However, hemp plants are now being cultivated with over 20% CBD and 0.3% THC or less, as the industry found interest in CBD after research showed its potent benefits. Needless to say, sifting through the buds of those hemp plants will create some awesome CBD-rich Kief, but THC and any other cannabinoids on the plant would also be produced. If you are going to get the usual two-chamber grinder to collect Kief, we suggest buying a three-chamber model. This way, you ensure that the precious crystals of kief fall through a screen and are safely collected in a compartment. Crystals will fall off and stick to the inside of the grinder if you just use a two-chamber version, wasting a considerable part of CBD kief.
What is Hemp Kief used for?Hemp kief is a concentrated form of cannabis from the female hemp plant. Kief is often considered to be one of the cleanest ways to consume CBD because there is little to no processing or solvents involved. With some creativity, there are a lot of different ways to use CBD hemp kief. Let's see some of the most popular here. Topping off your buds with kief is the best way to take advantage of it. Only sprinkle a little bit of CBD kief in your pipe, bong, or one-hitter over your ground flower. Kief seems to burn rapidly when heated and will continue to stay lit until all of it is gone. As a result, it is recommended that you spread out your hemp kief by lining it outside a bowl to avoid wasting product when catching your breath between each draw, instead of covering the entire top layer. On the other hand, you can make Moon Rocks. Moon Rocks are just CBD nugs coated in oil and then rolled into kief. If you want to try it, follow these easy steps:
- On a very low burner, heat the oil of choice, i.e, coconut oil. You should dip the nug in the oil to coat it as much as possible.
- Roll it or sprinkle the CBD kief over the still warm, oil-covered nug.
- Place and allow to harden on parchment paper. Enjoy them by breaking up the nugs by hand and sprinkling them where you want to consume them.
Uses for Hemp KiefCBD kief is very versatile, and it will definitely add to your experience if you're used to smoking hemp flower. While it is not quite as effective as a CBD concentrate, hemp kief still provides a great improvement.
- One of the most common ways of consuming hemp kief is to add it to your hot coffee. The heat of the coffee will decarboxylate or activate the cannabinoids in this concentrate. Since CBD kief is filled with cannabinoids, just add about half a gram to a whole gram of kief to a 6 oz drink. Moverover, dopamine secretion is triggered by both caffeine and hemp, causing users to experience pleasure.
- By pouring it into a vaporizer the same way you would with a flower, you can vape CBD kief. You can also sprinkle it on your flower along with it. However, if you want the convenience of vaporizing oil over buds (since it is easier to clean and more potent due to the fat solubility of this cannabinoid) you can also make CBD kief oil.
- Kief has a much more subtle flavor than the cannabis flower, but all the cannabinoids are preserved even in a bigger number. This makes it an exceptional addition to a meal. Make some hemp kief butter or simply incorporate kief directly into your cooking to add it to every meal. Before cooking with the kief, remember to decarboxylate it to ensure the cannabinoids are activated.
- You can also use hemp kief to create a stronger end product, just as you can make flavored butter with cannabis flower or hash oil. On medium heat, simply put butter (not margarine) into a crock pot until fully melted. Then add your CBD kief and stir every 10 to 15 minutes for 5 hours. Remove the butter from the heat and put it in a heat-resistant container or a bowl. Place a lid on the container after it cools fully and place it in the fridge to harden.
- Kief extraction is one of the first steps to create hash. In essence, hash is kief that has been slightly heated and pressurized to make a soft ball. The resin glands are affected when you apply pressure and heat to kief, resulting in a change in composition. Exposing CBD kief to pressure also causes his color to get darker.
How much Hemp Kief do I need to make tincture?Hemp tinctures are one of the most concentrated and easiest ways to consume the herb, and both foods and drinks can be consumed with drops or in recipes. Planning on making your own hemp kief tincture? For each pint (2 cups) of alcohol used, use 6-8 grams of CBD kief or hash. Once you have this settled, follow the next steps. You'll need 2 mason jars, a cheesecloth and grain alcohol:
- Make sure the kief is ground, drop it into a jar and continuously break it up inside.
- Attach your high resistance, grain alcohol and blend well. Again, just enough to completely submerge your ground hemp kief.
- To preserve it, place the mix in a dark cool place and shake it 3 times a day for 3 months.
- After 3 months, strain your solution into your other jar through your cheesecloth and repeat straining as needed. You will probably feel like you’re losing some of the mix, but you shouldn’t worry, as it is not a big quantity.
- Store in a container again in a cool, dark place.
Make CBD oil with Hemp KiefThere are plenty of ways to combine fats such as oil, butter, and ghee with your ground CBD kief to make your infused treats even more delicious. Making CBD oil with hemp kief is possible. Fats and oils serve as insulating material to your hemp kief once it is decarboxylated, and will usually undergo a bit more heating before completely integrating with the cannabinoids and terpenes that the kief carries. To make your CBD oil, you will need a double boiler to proceed. Double boilers are helpful tools for chocolate melting and dealing with other delicate materials that can quickly scorch, such as butter and milk. Double boilers are also used by many patients to manufacture concentrate, but today we will focus on oils. The double boiler method helps create a layer of safety from direct heat; however, you are limited to the boiling water temperature, which can only exceed 212 F. Due to exposure to direct air during the infusion process, the double boiler approach often comes with unwanted aromas and varying temperatures, affecting the intensity and consistency of the finished product. Follow these steps to successfully make CBD oil with hemp kief:
- Decarb your Kief using a slow cooker, stove or oven.
- Once the first step is done, pour the oil of your choosing with your plant material in the double boiler.
- Over medium heat, put the mixture on. Allow the oil and cannabis mixture to be infused for 90 minutes over medium heat, stirring periodically.
- Take the double boiler away from the heat. Separate the remaining pieces of CBD kief from your infused oil and remove the used material by using a cheesecloth or strainer.
- Store your infused oil in an airtight jar, like a tincture bottle, and enjoy as it is, or add it to a recipe of your preference.