If you are just starting to look into the various forms of THC, you might be a little bit confused. After all, there are many different kinds. If you ever hear people talking about Delta-9 THC, this is just the regular type of THC that cannabis contains, which is what gets you high. However, there are then many other forms of THC out there, with Delta-8 being one of them. Now, they don't all have the same potency or strength. So, which is stronger, Delta-8 or Delta-9? This is one of the few questions that we are here to answer today. Besides answering what's stronger, Delta-8 or Delta-9, we will also be doing a Delta-8 vs Delta-9 comparison to see exactly what they are and how they will affect you. Yes, these are both types of THC, and they are fairly similar, but there are some differences between them that you need to know about. So, is Delta-8 stronger than D9?
- Delta-8 and Delta-9 THC have slightly different chemical compositions
- The effects and benefits of both types of THC are very similar
- The biggest difference is that Delta-9 THC is more potent than Delta-8 THC
- Delta-8 THC often doesn’t produce the same level of anxiety or paranoia that Delta-9 THC may induce when taken in high doses
Delta-8 vs Delta-9 Chemical StructureBoth of these forms of THC have very similar chemical structures. However, there is a small difference, leading to all of the other differences that we will discuss further below. Generally speaking, the biggest difference here is the placement of the double bond on the carbon atom chain. If we are talking about Delta-8 THC, the double bonds are all located on the eighth carbon atom, hence the name. On the other hand, with Delta-9 THC, all of the double bonds are located on the 9th carbon atom, hence why it is called Delta-9 THC. The number refers to where the double bonds are placed on the carbon chain. Now, unless you are a scientist, you're not going to know how that difference leads to all of the other differences, but what you need to know is that this difference will determine how THC interacts with your CB1 receptors in your central nervous system.
Delta-8 vs Delta-9 EffectsWhen it comes to the effects that you will feel from these two types of THC, they are admittedly quite similar. Perhaps the biggest difference between these two types of THC has to do with their potency. This is something we will discuss further below. However, as far as Delta-9 THC is concerned, you can expect to feel a cerebral head high as well as a body high. When Delta-9 THC is consumed, the regular type of THC that we are all used to, there are several effects that may occur. Two of the most common results of Delta-9 consumption are an extreme sense of relaxation and pleasant euphoria. What you need to realize here is that everybody reacts differently to THC, so different people can have greatly varying effects. For instance, some people start feeling very energetic, happy, bright, focused, concentrated, and more. Some people also get very social, giggly, and talkative. Some people may then also get tired, feel sluggish, heavy, sedated, tingly, and generally tired. Many people start feeling quite hungry as well. Some people also experience heightened sensory perception, such as louder sounds and brighter colors. Many people also have an altered perception of time, with many saying that time passes much slower when they are high on Delta-9 THC. Moreover, THC also impairs your motor skills, impairs your decision-making skills, and intoxicates you in general. Now, what needs to be said is that D9 THC, especially when present in high concentrations, can make people feel paranoid and anxious. For the most part, Delta-8 THC produces the same mind and body high effects as Delta-9 THC, all of those effects that we listed above. However, because Delta-8 THC doesn't pack quite the same punch, it usually won't make you feel anxious or paranoid like Delta-9 THC might make you feel in high doses. So, is Delta-8 better than Delta-9? Due to this issue of anxiety and paranoia, some people would say so, although as you're about to figure out below if you're looking to get really stoned, Delta-9 is the better option.
Delta-8 vs Delta-9 BenefitsTHC can have many different benefits. Now, what we do need to make clear here is that Delta-8 and Delta-9 THC are very similar in terms of both their effects and the benefits that they have on your mind and body. Generally speaking, the biggest difference is going to be in terms of potency, plus the fact that D8 doesn't usually result in paranoia or anxiety, such as can happen with high concentrations of Delta-9. However, other than that, the benefits are going to be very similar. Take a look at the list below for all of the potential benefits associated with these types of THC.
- Both of these types of THC are known for being analgesics or pain relievers. They can relieve mild to moderate pain. This pain can be associated with chronic illnesses or can be acute pain as well.
- Another benefit that both of these types of THC are known for having is that they generally act as fairly strong sedatives, which means that they help to improve the quality of your sleep. They are known for helping you get to sleep. Many people who suffer from insomnia and general sleeplessness take THC to sleep.
- Another potential benefit of both of these types of THC is that they have the capability to reduce vomiting and nausea. This vomiting and nausea may be acute or associated with long-term illnesses. At the same time, THC is also known for being an appetite stimulant, therefore helping you to eat when you might be having trouble doing so.
- Although it does depend on the person in question, THC may also be able to reduce symptoms related to depression, stress, and more. Many people also report a decrease in anxious thoughts when THC has been consumed. Although this is a double-sided sword, for some people, high quantities of THC can cause paranoia and anxiety.